Valiant Together: Facebook Group for Quaker RE During COVID-19
Like the Valiant 60 of Quaker history, Quaker Religious Educators (RE) are reaching out through a new Face book group to support families. The Spirit is rising! Join us as we work together to bring hope, creativity and the chance to go deeper during the COVID-19 pandemic. Valiant Together is a Facebook group hosted by QREC where the Quaker RE community of practice can share ideas and resources; where we can work together. We all have questions, we all have ideas, and we are already working to spread love and creativity in these challenging times. Join us! Resources for families and Friends in their homes are being posted at a QREC Facebook Group
Here are some really great resources for all to share (not just for the younger set)
- New! Comic: A Kids’ Guide to Coping with the Pandemic (And a printable zine)
- New! Books for Families in these trying times of COVID19.
A theme page of links to books online that you can read with children gathered by the Sparklers Group.
- To Rise Up Singing FUN FOR (COOPED UP) FAMILIES
Thanks, Peter and Annie Blood-Patterson for posting this page of music and activities and continuing to add to it!
- FGC Spiritual Deepening Library
- Looking for children’s books to read with your family? The Sparkling Still Online Library is a treasure trove of beautiful books selected and reviewed by seasoned Quaker religious educators. The collection is searchable by topic and age group:
- “Treeing Together” A Lesson for First Day School at Home:
- See notes from Philadelphia Yearly Meeting on the query: How do we continue to engage our children, young people, and their families each week in worship and religious education, during “physical distancing?” This is a collection of reflections, resources and ideas for First Day School Committees and Quaker religious educators.
- Lesson Plan for the Home: Remembering, Hoping, and Being Present
Books about COVID-19 to share with Families
Use these books to start a conversation about the pandemic; about feelings, worries, faith and hope.
- For pre-school: “Something Strange Happened in My City: A social story about the coronavirus pandemic for children” by Dr. Shu-Chen Jenny Yen California State University, Fullerton
- For older children: “A Kids book about COVID-19” by Malia Jones
- Daily Family Devotionals from Emily Provence: (part way down the page)
- Secular Resources from Friend Janet Dawson
- Article on Support for Families and First Day School Programs, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and New York Yearly Meeting:
- Common Sense Media
- Illustrated Ministry FREE STUFF
- Videos of Bible stories on the Godly Play YouTube channel including a Quaker Faith & Play story
- Find resources in our Resource Library. (Search Home and Small Meeting for a start.)
- Join our monthly Conversation Circles. (A different topic each month.)