Outreach to Families: Support for Parenting in Community
Conversation Circles: September 19 & 21, 2023
UAKER MEETINGS CAN OFFER SUPPORT TO PARENTS WHO SEEK guidance on nurturing their children. The spiritual journey of parenting can be, at once, deeply challenging and deeply fulfilling, yet parents are bombarded with advice and demands from extended family, schools, the workplace, and society at large. Quaker meetings can offer respite and community. We can provide opportunities for parents to gather, reflect, support one another, and learn.
However, Meetings must make it easy for parents to come with their children by providing supports such as free childcare and a simple child-friendly meal. This requires intention and organization on the part of the Meeting community. The fruit is to connect with families, some of whom may resonate with the Quaker way.
Join this conversation to explore how Quaker meetings can offer opportunities for parents – whether they identify as Quakers or not – to gather and learn.
- How can Quaker meetings and churches be supportive and helpful as parents navigate the stresses of daily life?
- What experts, books and resources can your Meeting gather to offer parent learning opportunities?
- What can your meeting do to organize family friendly parent gatherings?
- Are there queries that can guide parents as they search for their parenting path?
- How can parenting groups be an outreach tool for the Meeting?
- How can parent gatherings your meeting help parents find mutually supportive community?
Tuesday, September 19, 1pm eastern US/Can
- Kim Simmons, Portland ME
- Ryan Nilson, Durham Friends Meeting, NCYMC
- Elizabeth Freyman, Curriculum Coordinator, Albuquerque Friends Meeting, IMYM
Thursday, September 21, 8pm eastern US/Can
- Harriet Heath, NEYM, Quaker Parenting Initiative
- Beth Collea, Dover Friends Meeting, NEYM
- Andrew Wright, Youth and Children’s Ministries Coordinator, Durham Friends Meeting, NCYMC
- Sita Diehl, Madison Friends Meeting, NYM
Faithful Families: Creating Sacred Moments at Home, Traci Smith
- The Parenting Project: Build Extraordinary Relationships with Your Kids Through Daily Conversation, Amy Alamar and Kristine Schlichting
- Parenting 4 Social Justice: Tips, Tools, and Inspiration for Conversations and Action with Kids, Angela Berkfield et al
- Paths to Quaker Parenting, Harriet Heath, Editor
Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child, John M. Gottman
Tending Sacred Ground: Respectful Parenting, Pamela Haines