Conversation Circles, Quaker Parenting:
Support for these times, Jan 18 & 20
P arenting is challenging – and transformative – for those who approach it as a spiritual journey. No one does it perfectly, yet, as the pandemic grinds on, parents who seek to create a Spirit-led home face hurdles on all sides: at home, school, work and in the community. Many feel overwhelmed and isolated.
Parents and Quaker religious educators are invited to this conversation to explore how to support Quaker parents through meetings, online and resources for family life. In addition to exchanging experience, insights and questions among all present, we will lift up the online Quaker parent support groups now in their second year, and opportunities available through the Quaker Parenting Initiative. You will come away with ideas and connections, as well as new and time-tested resources to enrich Quaker family life.
- What does Quakerism offer parents?
- What do Quaker parents need?
- How can we make parenting resources known to parents who may or may not be connected to monthly meetings?
- As a parent, what is your experience of your meeting?
- How can meetings welcome and sustain families in these times?
- Harriet Heath, NEYM, Quaker Parenting Initiative (TUE & THU)
- Emily Provance, NYYM, Quaker Parent Support Groups (TUE)
- Melinda Wenner Bradley, PYM, Quaker Parent Support Groups (THU)
- Quaker Parenting Initiative: https://quakerparenting.org/
- QREC Faith at Home: https://quakerrecollaborative.org/faith-at-home
- The Parenting Project: Build Extraordinary Relationships with Your Kids Through Daily Conversation, Amy Alamar and Kristine Schlichting
- Parenting 4 Social Justice: Tips, Tools, and Inspiration for Conversations and Action with Kids, Angela Berkfield et al
- Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child John M. Gottman
- Paths to Quaker Parenting, Harriet Heath, Editor
- Free-Range Kids: How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts with Worry), Llenore Skenazy
- Faithful Families: Creating Sacred Moments at Home, Traci Smith
- Nurturing Quaker Children in a Small Meeting, Christie Duncan-Tessmer
- Crossing the Threshold: How do meeting communities prepare for and engage in active invitation to families and children? Melinda Wenner Bradley
- A Friendly Welcome for Families: Spoken and Unspoken Messages of Our Meeting Spaces, Melinda Wenner Bradley
- Resources for Quaker Teens at Meeting and Home, Melinda Wenner Bradley
- Welcoming Children and Families into Quaker Meeting, QREC series with Melinda Wenner Bradley
- Teaching the Language of Children’s Spirituality, Caryl Menkhus Creswell