Topic: Quakers, Death and New Life: Lent, Easter and Passover
Drawing on the ancient themes of death, rebirth and resurrection, how can we, as religious educators open the way to a Quaker understanding of Lent, Easter and Passover? Join this conversation to discuss the challenges posed by the stories of this season; to learn from others and to share successes and promising practices from your meeting.
Andrew Wright: (Durham, NCYMC) is the paid Youth and Children’s Ministries Coordinator for Durham Friends Meeting and especially enjoys working with middle school youth. He has also led FGC workshops for adults on Mark’s gospel and on Paul’s Letter to the Romans.
Melinda Wenner Bradley: (West Chester MM, PhYM) After becoming a Godly Play storyteller in 2005, Melinda co-authored Faith & Play: Quaker Stories for Friends Trained in the Godly Play Method. An accredited US Godly Play Trainer since 2010, Melinda works with Quaker meetings and Friends schools to use these resources. A co-founder of the Quaker Religious Education Collaborative, she currently serves Philadelphia Yearly Meeting as the Youth Engagement Coordinator.
Joan Broadfield: (West Chester MM, PhYM) was introduced to the Quaker way as a child. She joined with her spouse and two children in 1970’s and worked for Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Her grounding in the Quaker way has included clerking in her Meeting and Quarter, a year-long Quaker Studies Program in 1980s, the Way of Ministry program in 2008-9, and more recently Radical Faithfulness. She supports religious education for all ages in her meeting, has been active with curriculum development at FGC, and is trained in Faith & Play.
- How do we come as contemporary Friends to the ancient themes of death, rebirth and resurrection?
- How can we, as religious educators open the way to a Quaker understanding of Lent, Easter and Passover for children, youth and adults?
- How can we care for families holding multiple faith traditions only one of which is Quaker?
For Children and Families:
- Easter Story for Friends (Faith & Play)
- Exploring Godly Play Stories for Lent, by Melinda Wenner Bradley, PYM:
- Easter Light: A set of queries for Lent and Easter, by Debbie Pryor, Wellesley Friends Meeting
- An Introduction to the Life of Jesus for Quakers, Inspired by the Musical Godspell on “KidsQuake” from the Friends Media Project.
- Holy Week in a Box
- Wellesley Friends Seder
- The Lord’s Prayer: Learning the World Jesus Taught, by Adam Thomas:
- Psalm Twenty-Three illustrated by Tim Ladwig
- The Light of the World, by Katherine Paterson: http://littlebookbigstory.com/the-light-of-the-world-by-katherine-paterson/
- Abraham’s Bind: & Other Bible Tales of Trickery, Folly, Mercy and Love, by Michael Caduto, https://www.amazon.com/Abrahams-Bind-Other-Bible-Trickery/dp/1594731861
- In the Beginning: The story of Genesis and Earth Activities for Children, by Michael Caduto. https://www.worldcat.org/title/in-the-beginning-the-story-of-genesis-and-earth-activities-for-children/oclc/54767412
- Stories of God at Home: A Godly Play Approach, Godly Play Foundation: https://www.godlyplayfoundation.org/stories-of-god-at-home-is-here/
- Nana Upstairs, Nana Downstairs, by Tomie de Paola: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/98407.Nana_Upstairs_and_Nana_Downstairs
- Sparkling Still, Friends General Conference. Searchable online library of children‚Äôs books: https://www.fgcquaker.org/deepen/religious-education/sparkling-still/sparkling-still-librarything-collection .
- The Last Week: What the Gospels Really Teach About Jesus’s Final Days in Jerusalem, by John Crossan and Marcus Borg: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/103340.The_Last_Week
- Jesus, The Last Week, (video, 26 minutes) John Dominic Crossan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdEnJtvBi84
- Jesus, The Last Week, (video, 14 minute version) John Dominic Crossan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3W666xJCyE
- Jesus, a Revolutionary Biography, by John Dominic Crossan: https://www.johndominiccrossan.com/Jesus%20A%20Revolutionary%20Biography.htm
- Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why, Bart D Ehrman: www.bartdehrman.com/misquoting-jesus-the-story-behind-who-changed-the-bible-and-why/
- The Face of Water: A Translator on Beauty and Meaning in the Bible, by Sarah Ruden: https://pendlehill.org/product/the-face-of-water-a-translator-on-beauty-and-meaning-in-the-bible/
- The Jewish Study Bible (includes the books Christians used in the Old Testament): https://www.logos.com/product/30983/the-jewish-study-bible
- Who killed Jesus? Exposing the Roots of Anti-Semitism in the Gospel Story of the Death of Jesus, by John Dominic Crossan: https://www.harpercollins.com/9780060614805/who-killed-jesus/
- Jesus and the Disinherited, by Howard Thurman: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/204177/jesus-and-the-disinherited-by-howard-thurman/
Tuesday, 2/20/20 1:00PM ET
|Windy Cooler||Sandy Springs, BYM|
|Sita Diehl||Madison WI, NYM|
|Andrew Wright||Durham NC, NCYMC|
|Melinda Wenner Bradley||West Chester PA, PhYM|
|Joan Broadfield||Chester PA, PhYM|
|Judith Nandikove||Nairobi MM, Kenya YM|
|Greg Woods||FM Cambridge MA, NEYM|
|Gail Fletcher||Norman OK, SCYM|
|Cameron Hughes||Goose Creek FM, BYM|
|Sharon Gunther||Swarthmore PA, PhYM|
|JoAnn Seaver||Green Street MM, PhYM|