Beacon Hill Friends House offered a series of 9 monthly online Bible sessions led by North American Bible leaders from a variety of backgrounds from October 2020 through June 2021 in cooperation with Woolman Hill Quaker Retreat Center. Beacon Hill also offered three bilingual sessions, Caminando con la biblia, with guest Bible leaders from Latin America beginning in January 2022 in cooperation with Friends World Committee for Consultation – Section of the Americas.
Bible Reflection vs. Bible Study. These sessions utilize an approach that is intended to help participants hear God’s voice in the here and now in response to listening together to a particular Bible passage – and then to share what is rising in them with others who are taking part. The emphasis is on “heart-listening” in response to the Bible passage, rather than head knowledge about the passage.
Video Recordings of these sessions are wonderful resources both for personal Bible study and reflection. They can also be used in a group study/reflection on a particular Bible session. You can access these videos in the “Walking with the Bible” playlist on Beacon Hill’s YouTube channel.
- Lamentation & the Liberation of the Spiritual Imagination with Carl Magruder of Pacific YM on Psalm 22 (Oct. 2020)
- Living as a People in Exile with Adria Gulizia of New York YM on Jeremiah 29:4-14 (Nov. 2020)
- The Spacious Place God Has Brought Us Into with Colin Saxton of North Valley Friends Church in Oregon on Psalm 18:1-19 (Dec. 2020)
- Living in Empire: Do Not Be Conformed to the Pattern of this World… with Andrew Wright of North Carolina (Conservative) YM on Romans 12 (Jan. 2021)
- What This Passage Means to Me Through a Queer Lens: How Can We Be Good Stewards in Our Community & Our Relationships? with Katie Breslin of West Richmond Friends Church on Genesis 2:15-25 (Feb. 2021)
- Contemplative Activism: What God Requires of Us—and How We Do It with Regina Renee Ward of Ujima Friends Meeting on Micah 6:6-8 and James 1:19-27 (Mar. 2021)
- Reimagining Prophetic Ministry in the Jubilee Year with Randy Woodley of George Fox University on Luke 4:16-30 (April 2021)
- My Hardened Heart Stands Convicted and Still Refuses to Leave Egypt to Cross Into Freedom with Benigno Sanchez-Eppler of New England YM on Exodus 4:21-23 (May 2021)
- This Mystical & Unitive Experience of God with Lynette Davis of Ujima Friends Meeting on Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24 (June 2021)
- Reflection on Hebrews 12:12-16 & Galatians 5:22-26 with Emma Condoori Mamani of Santidad YM in Bolivia (Jan. 2022)
- Reflection on Psalm 23 with Cristela Martinez of El Salvador YM (Feb. 2022)
Watch here for resources (coming in spring 2022) prepared by Peter Blood-Patterson, the host of this series, on ways you can use these videos in your own personal Bible reflection or plan a session for your Friends meeting or church.
Materials in Spanish on the Caminando con la biblia series are posted in Biblioteca QREC, the Spanish language section of the QREC Resource Library.
Pendle Hill Pamphlet #474 Walking with the Bible describes this approach to Bible reflection and includes an account of the way it was used by the first three Bible leaders in this series. Information at: https://pendlehill.org/product/walking-with-the-bible/