This curriculum enables Friends to explore central tenets in the shared life of a Friends Meeting. Topics include:
- Quaker faith as an adventure in direct, ongoing guidance by Christ shaping the work of the church today.
- Deepening worship — ways we allow Christ to guide our worship services and bring His Spirit into our midst during them.
- Church decisions — deepening our capacity to be led by Christ during our meetings for business in an open-hearted search for unity.
- Meeting as “beloved community” — exploring ways we can increase our capacity to share with each other in mutual trust, vulnerability, accountability, & love.
The course was developed by Peter Blood of New England Yearly Meeting. Peter has been leading retreats and adult religious education courses for Friends meetings for many years. Peter’s ministry of Quaker writing and teaching is carried out under the care of Mount Toby (MA) Meeting. This is an adaptation of an earlier curriculum intended for use in unprogrammed meetings called “Deepening Meeting Life”. He was assisted in this adaptation by Becky Ankeny, a recorded minister in Sierra Cascade Yearly Meeting. For more information contact Peter.
Download the course materials:
- Deepening Church Life — course summary
- Deepening Church Life — handouts
- Deepening Church Life — all PDFs in one file
Author: Peter Blood-Patterson, Becky Ankeny
Publisher: Peter Blood-Patterson
Preparation Time: Depends on the knowledge/experiential level of course leader.
Related File: Click to view/download file
Related Link (or File): Click to go to link
Topics: Adult Ed Beyond Intro, Adult Education, Adult Education, Essential Reading, Bible, Bible Study, Centering, Clearness Committees, Community, Curriculum, Faith & Practice, Inner Light, Journaling, Meditation & Centering, Meeting Practices, Meeting for Business, Prayer, Quaker Faith & Practice, Quaker History, Quaker Process, Quaker Values, Quakerism, Quakerism Intro, Queries, Spiritual Deepening, Spiritual Journeys, Testimonies, Theology, Truth and Truth-telling